Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Nitro O.F.R. promo poster

I got this poster from a friend of mine today, and it is pretty sweet swag from the 80's. Back in the day I thought Nitro were pretty fuckin' funny, albeit with a pretty amazing guitar player, whereas my bud thought they were pretty cool and went and saw them live where he got this poster. If anyone is not familiar with Nitro, they basically are most known for taking every stereotype of glam and metal and setting out to push the envelope further. The four dudes in this band had much higher and bigger hair than every other glam band combined! Vocalist Jim Gillette held his screams twice as long as anyone else in metal and at a higher pitch. Guitar player Michael Angelo needed 4 necks on his guitar to perform his face melting solos, not one like all the other posers on the scene. Meanwhile back on earth, Rory Gallagher only needed one neck... maybe we should all ponder on that for a bit.

Their album was called O.F.R. which stood for Out Fucking Rageous and a it is a perfect name for 4 guys who don't understand subtlety in the least. Anyway, despite all the laughter this album brought my friends and I in the late 80's, later in life I took a chance on the LP hoping to get a quick laugh (which I did), but I also realized that these guys can actually play and while their brand of music is not for everyone I must admit I sort of enjoy spinning this record once in awhile, it has become sort of a guilty pleasure, but at this age, there really is no such thing as a guilty pleasure. Sure, their songwriting abilities are a bit weak at times, but it does feature some pretty amazing guitar playing especially in regards to the solos and the record has become sort of an important historical piece. It is not really a glam record as much as it is a glam record with speed metal and traditional heavy metal also prevalent in small doses. However, do not misunderstand me, this is not a great record, rather it is an interesting listen. The record is brilliant at times and at other times it is absolutely terrible, the lyrics in particular are downright embarrassing. Anyway, the poster is great and I do wish I went and saw these guys back in the day because sadly bands like this don't exist anymore!  This is from an era that will never be repeated.  

Photobucket
That guitar is totally OFR dude!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment